Summer can often be a time to get out and enjoy the warm weather with friends and family. However, it can also be a dangerous time to take to the road.
You need to be cognizant of the many hazards so that you remain safe as you venture out on the road this summer. Here are some of the main problems you may face:
Summertime road closures and detours are quite popular in areas like New York because construction crews try to make up for their lost time when they couldn’t work during the winter. There may be unfinished road work, construction equipment, and debris you have to look for while out on the road.
Another concern that motorists must worry about during the summer is tire blowouts. Weather changes may cause tires to deflate. Dramatic temperature increases may also change the composition of your tires, causing them to burst.
Upticks in traffic
Many people are likely to have extended breaks off from school or work during the summer. This increases the amount of traffic during off-peak driving times and the potential for you to encounter a distracted driver. You may encounter more cyclists or pedestrians that you must account for as well.
Other factors that contribute to higher accident rates in the summer
Some other factors that may increase a motorist’s chances of having a collision during the summer include:
- An uptick in overheated engines, which result in an increase in car breakdowns and stranded motorists
- Increases in inexperienced teen motorists on the road, who are often distracted and operating older vehicles
- Unpredictable summer weather patterns, be it flash floods, hail, rain or a brightly shining sun that causes glare, can make driving dangerous
- Playing children and their pets may randomly run into the street in front of a motorist’s car
- Drowsy driving due to summer days being longer and motorists having more activities to engage in
What to do if a motorist strikes, injures you this summer
Fortunately, New York law allows injured individuals to hold motorists liable for their negligence. You may be able to use any compensation that you recover for accident-related expenses. An experienced advocate can help you learn more.