One Of New York’s Most Respected Personal Injury Firms

3 things to do if your breast cancer was misdiagnosed

On Behalf of | Jun 16, 2017 | Misdiagnosis

Despite being one of the most prevalent and consequential forms of cancer, breast cancer is often misdiagnosed. Whether your doctor failed to diagnose or delayed the diagnosis of your breast cancer, this type of medical malpractice has serious implications. Survival can depend heavily on early diagnosis and treatment.

If you suspect your doctor or other medical specialists contributed to your misdiagnosis, it is crucial to consider a medical malpractice lawsuit to recover your financial losses. Continue reading for tips to follow as you prepare for a lawsuit.

1. Get immediate medical and legal counsel

The first thing that should concern you is keeping yourself healthy. Find a physician who is able to give you the best possible treatment for breast cancer. Then you should consult a medical malpractice lawyer to see if you have a strong case. Your lawyer will gather your medical records, imaging studies, oncology results and other important data related to your misdiagnosis to determine this.

2. Sign a medical records release form

In order to share this confidential medical information, you need to sign an authorization form. This is because your health care providers and insurance company are legally required to keep your information confidential. Once you authorize your attorney to access these documents, create a detailed timeline of your case.

3. Avoid posting on social media

It is common for us to share everything about our lives online these days. While you may want to keep family and friends updated or simply vent, refrain from talking about your case on any social media website. Your social media profiles may undermine your case.

If you follow these tips, you will be in better shape during the course of your medical practice case. Remember that proving your health care provider was negligent can be a long and drawn-out battle. Prioritize your treatment and trust an attorney to worry about the details of your case.