One Of New York’s Most Respected Personal Injury Firms


Motor Vehicle Accident

Record verdict for passengers injured when rental car collides with disabled tractor trailer.


Motor Vehicle Accident

Child suffers brain damage from car accident.


Motor Vehicle Accident

Male riding motorcycle, struck by NYPD police car, proceeding through red light without sirens and light.

Car Accident Help For New York City And New York State Residents

Although car accidents happen quite often in New York, especially New York City, it is never easy to know what to do next when you are involved in an accident, especially when that accident results in injury. If your injuries are significant, they may prevent you from returning to work and will require extensive medical treatment. It is important to protect your rights and pursue compensation for care, lost wages and other expenses.

At the law firm of Paul B. Weitz & Associates, PC, our experienced attorneys have the resources and skill to determine the cost of your accident-related injuries and expenses. We have handled hundreds of car, truck and other motor vehicle accident cases in New York, including cases where people have suffered injuries that range from broken bones to catastrophic neck, spinal cord and brain injuries.

Why You Need To Speak With An Attorney Right Away

If you have been in a car accident, it is important to speak with an attorney right away. There are strict time frames and deadlines for which to file claims with insurance companies. This includes accidents with drivers who are uninsured or underinsured, which makes it necessary to look to an accident victim’s own auto insurance for recovery.

Our firm can examine the situation, assess what compensation is necessary for the recovery process and pursue benefits on behalf of our clients.

What Are The Most Common Types Of Car Accidents?

There are many types of car crashes. Some of the most common include:

  • Single-car crashes such as rollovers
  • Two-car collisions such as rear-end collisions, T-bone collisions, sideswipe accidents and head-on collisions
  • Collisions with other vehicles such as trucks, motorcycles and bicycles
  • Multicar pileups
  • Rideshare accidents involving Uber or Lyft

Any type of car accident can cause substantial injuries and significant legal concerns.

What Are The Most Common Causes Of Car Accidents?

Many factors can contribute to auto accidents. Some of the most common causes include:

  • Distracted (inattentive) driving, including texting while driving
  • Speeding or driving too fast for the road conditions
  • Tailgating (following too closely)
  • Driver fatigue
  • Failure to signal for turns or lane changes
  • Failure to yield
  • Driver inexperience (especially among teen drivers)
  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Road rage

Mechanical issues and auto defects can also contribute to accidents.

What Are The Steps To Take After A New York Car Accident?

Getting into a car accident can be scary and disorienting. You might not know what to do. After all, it’s not every day you get into a car accident.

Here are some steps to take:

  • Get medical help right away. Don’t attempt to move people who are seriously injured.
  • Call the police. They will assess the situation, divert traffic and make a report. The police report can serve as helpful evidence.
  • Exchange contact and insurance information. You should also take down contact info for any witnesses.
  • Don’t admit fault. Even if you think you were at fault, you might not be aware of other factors that later come to light.
  • Take photos at the scene. If you’re able to do so, they can serve as helpful evidence.
  • Seek medical help. You should always be evaluated by a medical professional after an accident. Even if you didn’t sustain any obvious injuries, you may have whiplash, soft tissue injuries or internal bleeding.
  • Notify your insurance. However, don’t agree to a recorded statement or accept a settlement without first contacting a lawyer.

It’s wise to talk to an attorney early in the process. By doing so, you can avoid common pitfalls that could jeopardize your case.

Learn More About Our Experienced New York Car Accident Representation

Don’t delay speaking with a lawyer after a car or other motor vehicle accident. Contact our office in New York City to schedule a free initial consultation with Paul B. Weitz & Associates, PC. Call us at 646-916-3179 to make an appointment. Se habla español.